|What Is Stephen Ministry?
Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).
Stephen Ministry is the one-to-one lay caring ministry. Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting.
Stephen Ministry Facts and Stats:
To Understand the impact a Stephen Minister can have, please click on the links below.
- Stephen Ministry began in 1975.
- Stephen Ministry is now in more than 12,000 congregations from more than 170 Christian denominations, in all 50 states, 10 Canadian provinces, and 28 other countries.
- More than 70,000 pastors, church staff, and laypeople have trained as Stephen Leaders (those who oversee and direct Stephen Ministry in the congregation) at a Leader’s Training Course.
- More than 600,000 people have trained as Stephen Ministers (laypeople who provide care to those who are hurting) in their congregations.
- More than one-and-a-half million people have received care from a Stephen Minister in a formal one-to-one Stephen Ministry caring relationship, and millions more have been touched by Stephen Ministry in informal ways.